Did you know that Car Next Door offers car rental for drivers aged under 21 years old?
It’s a seminal time for young people as they embrace independence and adulthood for the first time, often by studying abroad or taking a gap year backpacking. Crazy adventures and life-changing experiences lie ahead and Car Next Door wants to make the road ahead less bumpy for you.
Car rental for under 21 year olds is available with Car Next Door under the following conditions;
- You must hold your full licence
- You must be at least 18 years old
- We do not charge the young driver surcharge
- We require a $150 deposit if it is your first booking. This applies to all members, regardless of age
- You can book with any credit or debit card
- Enjoy all the other benefits of booking with Car Next Door: automatic comprehensive insurance, up to 50% savings, CO2 offsets, and 24/7 roadside and member support plus the friendliest community around!
It can be really difficult for young drivers, especially those under 21, to hire a car anywhere in the world. We think it’s really unfair that most hire car companies will penalise you for your age. Unfortunately, Australia is no different. All of our major car rental companies like Hertz, Avis, and Thrifty, do not hire to anyone under 21 years old. This is especially unreasonable for teenage drivers from overseas where age restrictions, licence requirements and driving histories can vary greatly. For example, young drivers from the USA can get their learner’s permit as young as 14 years old, and get a full driver’s licence by the time they are 16.
We Hire Cars to Under 21s with a full license
We want to make hiring a car easy for everyone. Our minimum car rental age is 18 years old, but you must also meet the following requirements:
- Australian drivers must have a full, unrestricted license
- International drivers must have a full, unrestricted license from their home country with an English translation if it is in another language OR a full, unrestricted International Driving permit.
If you’re aged 18-20, you can borrow a limited number of cars in Sydney. If you’re aged 21 or over, you can borrow most cars on Car Next Door across Australia.
Exclusion: We do not accept provisional licences or P plates.
No Young Driver Surcharge for Under 21s & Under 25s
Until you are 25, many car rental companies will categorise you as a young driver and will charge you an additional young driver surcharge. They justify this additional fee by claiming that it is to cover the extra risks that young drivers pose by lacking suitable experience.
We’re proud to say that we do not charge an additional young driver surcharge or impose any additional restrictions on young drivers.
Make your booking with a credit card OR debit card
No credit card? No problem. Once you’ve joined up as a free member to our community (it only takes 3 minutes), you can hire a car without a credit card. We accept any Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card - just make sure it has the necessary funds available!
Note: All members will be charged a $150 deposit on their first booking, which will be returned after the trip is completed.
So, what are you waiting for? Book now and put the focus back on planning the fun times ahead!